Life is a journey. Along the way we meet people whom we pick up pieces of ourselves from. While at it, we all carry treasure chests to keep the lessons we hold dear --- here's mine.

The purpose of life is to live it --- and make it worthwhile to the people around you.

Tuesday, May 11, 2010

Proud and Hoping

It is now May 11th, a day after the polls closed results are out from more than three-quarters of the votes cast.

And I am teary-eyed.

Just a few minutes ago, I saw on TV Gibo Teodoro conceed defeat to front-runner Noynoy Aquino. Earlier in the morning, it was Manny Villar who called it quits. For the first time, I saw men who just weeks ago were going at each other's throats (well, maybe not Gibo) just to get the votes, on tv, in a sportsman's gentlemanly fashion, tell their supporters that it was time to move on - - - that the people have spoken - - - and that the guy at the front has been chosen to lead us and needs our help.

Man! Watching them say these made my spine tingle. I really could not believe that our politicians had it in them the humility to bow to the people's will.

For the record, I am not pro-Noynoy. My candidate lost. But like Gibo, Villar, Gordon and the others - - - and multitudes of Filipinos, I believe that it is time to move on.

I am PROUD.

I am proud that I voted for Gordon. I am proud for Sen. Gordon for conceeeding.

I am proud for Manny Villar and Gibo Teodoro. Not because I was rooting for them, not only because of their humility, but because they are Filipinos. CNN and others had their cameras trained on us and probably caught these men on TV during their finest hour . Yes, I think it was their finest hour when they talked to the cameras and threw in the towel. In time, these videos will make it to the net and spread. And then the world will see that we are not as backward as was perceived.

I am proud for all Filipinos who voted. It was democracy at its finest. Waiting and standing in line for two, four to six hours was no mean feat.

And now I am hoping.

I am hoping that the newly-elected leaders will stand true to their promises.

I am hoping that Noynoy stand out of the shadows of his parents and be his own man.

I am hoping that the rest of the country will give these men and women a fair chance to do their jobs.

No comments: